Hello, From The Pineapple Team
We all know that the freshest pineapples are always the tastiest. From just eating it freshly cut to eating it on pizza, it’s top tier. Although we all love eating fresh pineapple, it's not always easy to pick the ripest, sweetest, juiciest pineapple. In this post, we're going to share with you how to pick a perfect pineapple. We hope you enjoy it!
THINGS TO LOOK FOR WHEN PICKING THE PERFECT PINEAPPLE
The first thing you want to look for when picking a pineapple is the Colour. Many pineapples you see in the store are green, you want to pick a pineapple that has a nice YELLOW colour. If they are green they aren’t quite ripe enough and will be hard and have a more tart taste.
3. TEST OUT THE LEAF
An old trick to know if the pineapple is ripe is to be able to easily PULL a leaf out with little effort. The fruit will be slightly soft when it is ripe.
4. ASSESS THE WEIGHT
Checking the weight of your pineapple can be an effective strategy to help measure ripeness. Look for a pineapple that feels heavy for its size, which often means that it’s riper. In many cases, a heavy pineapple is a sign that it’s juicier, which also means that it’s likely to be sweeter and more palatable.
HOW TO STORE A PINEAPPLE
- Pineapples will keep longer if refrigerated in a perforated plastic bag, up to 3-5 days.
- If using within 1-2 days, store pineapples at room temperature.
FUN FACTS ABOUT PINEAPPLE
- Pineapples regenerate! You can plant pineapple leaves to grow a new plant.
- Pineapples contain the bromelain enzyme which can break down proteins, so you can use them to tenderize meat.
- Hawaii produces about 1/3 of all pineapples in the world.
- Pineapples take about 18-20 months to become ready to harvest.
- Pineapples are native to South America before Christopher Columbus discovered them in 1493.
We hope you've enjoyed this week's blog Feel free to send us your pineapple tips on Instagram @thepineappleeverything! We will see you next week with another blog. While you're here, check out our 3 favourite products of the week!
OUR TOP 3 PRODUCTS OF THE WEEK 🔥